Monday, November 18, 2013

Homemade Granola :D

Today has been one crazy productive day. On top of accomplishing a ton of things, I tried my very first recipe out of my new cookbook that I got from my grandma for my birthday :]



I then proceeded to label recipes I am stoked to make! ;]


Today I made my first recipe from this book! Granola. It is absolutely fantastic. I only altered the recipe slightly by using olive oil instead of vegetable oil. 


-Ingredients-
-2 cups of oats
-1 cup of nuts like almonds, walnuts or pecans chopped or slivered. (I omitted nuts in mine for the first try)
-1/2 cup flaked coconut (this adds an amazing flavor, I highly recommend it even if you aren't a big fan of coconut, I'm not)
-1/2 cup sunflower seeds (roasted or raw)
-1/4 cup toasted wheat germ (it is usually in the aisle with oatmeal)
-1/4 cup flaxseed meal
-1/2 cup honey, agave, or maple syrup. (I used honey)
-2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil. (I chose olive)
-2 tsp ground cinnamon
-1 cup dried fruit like cranberries, raisins, apricots, or blueberries. (I chose cranberry)

-Directions-
-Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease a pan that has walls to it.
-In a large bowl combine oats, nuts, coconut, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, and flaxseed meal. (Don't add cranberries until after baking).
-In a smaller bowl combine honey, cinnamon and oil until mixed well. 
-Fold the honey mixture into the oat mixture. 
-Spread the mixture evenly inside the greased pan. 
-Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. 
-Stir the granola after about 15 minutes of baking.
-Remove from the oven and stir in the dried fruit. 
-Spread on a piece of foil to cool, or as I did, grab a cup and add soy milk to eat it like a mad woman ;]
-Store in an airtight container at room temp for up to 5 days, or freeze up to 2 months. 


I had to have seconds it was so good...






No comments:

Post a Comment